Saturday, March 28, 2015

Women of the World Saturday....

I was so moved to write today's blog with  swift keystrokes. I was inspired by the beautiful Diane Von Furstenberg's book the "The Women I Wanted to Be" . Within her story she brings to life the story of three women, that I would have never known, had it not been for my interest in DVF and the story behind it.

When my styling partner Natea and I began this blog, we began it so we can  bring our love for fashion to  the masses.  As much as I love an amazing dress, a darling shoe, adorable accessories to make an ultimate ensemble. Diane defines beauty as strength and personality.  I say we  need personality to bring that dress to life, we need strength to stand tall in that heel. We need conviction to make our personal style, stand alive in a room!

I believe that fashion is missing a soul. We are so enamored with the outer beauty, serving every pimple, every wrinkle. As if when there is an imperfection on the outer, that's unacceptable.

Meanwhile, we neglect our inner soul. We don't tend to any of the necessary steps to make our  inner feel just as good as the outside looks. As I read Diana' story, it reminded me of the beauty of inner style, and how that inner voice can guide us to make unbelievable decisions, that ultimately make us the women we wanted to be. As such, I want to celebrate the three women, pictured below, as there inner souls are fed with such riches, that you can't deny their elegance, as they are the women of the world, forging the stamps of inner beauty.

Sunitha Krishnan who was gang raped by eight men at fifteen and went on to form an organization in India called Prajwala that rescues and rehabilites girls from brothels and sex traffickers.   
Dr. Kakenya Ntaiya , a Kenyan who was engaged to be married at five and later bartered with her father, to be circumcised in return for the opportunity to go to highschool. She went on to college and graduate school in the United St 
                                          

Chouchou  Namegabe is a young journalist from the Democratic of Congo who recorded the stories of hundreds of voiceless  rape victims and played them on the radio to try shame the government into taking action....




"The dignity of these women, with their innate elegance  is a true inspiration of beauty."  Diana von Furstenberg.

My styling partner and I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Furstenberg, at a book signing, as pictured below, we were truly inspired by her amazing inner style...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment